YMCA South Florida Offers A Multitude Of Health & Wellness Opportunities
South Florida has lots of ingredients for health and wellness – Sun. Good weather. Pools. The Ocean. But living in South Florida also presents challenges – namely that we spend a LOT of time in our cars. And in the summer, it’s hot enough to make you want to stay indoors.
That’s where the Y comes in.
A big part of the YMCA’s mission is to provide innovative health and wellness options to adults, kids and families. And the Y has lived that mission since the first one opened. In 1881, a staff member at the Boston YMCA started Y patrons down the path of healthy living when he coined the term ‘body building.’ In 1885, the YMCA opened one of the first known summer camps, Camp Dudley, in New York – which is still in operation today! When Dr. Naismith invented the game of basketball, the first ever game was held at a YMCA in 1891. And in 1909, the Detroit YMCA pioneered a group exercise concept and held the first group swimming lessons.
Today, the YMCA still offers all of these activities and more. And in South Florida, there are over 8 YMCA locations where you can do them. Things like:
- Gymnastics – Greater Hollywood YMCA offers one of the premier gymnastics programs in South Florida and regularly hosts well-known tournaments.
- Swimming Lessons – The YMCA has pools in Weston, Pembroke Pines and more. The YMCA puts over 20,000 kids through swimming lessons in South Florida each year and makes drowning prevention an organizational priority.
- Basketball – The YMCA has been synonymous with basketball since the game was invented and most Y’s in South Florida boast basketball courts and organized games for kids and adults – you can even run full court at our Downtown Miami YMCA hi-rise location.
- Youth Sports – The YMCA offers organized youth sports and activities for kids including volleyball, flag football, soccer and even kids triathlon training!
- Camp – YMCAs of South Florida offer holiday camps and summer camps for kids of all ages. Our camps are fun and healthy, and offer kids the opportunity to build lasting friendships and memories.
- Personal Fitness – South Florida YMCAs offer modern workout floors, the latest cardio equipment, personal trainers and a great selection of classes – spin, Pilates, yoga, cycling and more.
The YMCA has lots of health and wellness options for singles and families. And in South Florida, there’s no time like now to take charge of your own health and to make sure your loved ones do too. And the Y makes it easy. Just find a location or click on the tab to the right and sign up for a free pass to try the Y near you! You’ll be glad you did.