Special Needs Inclusion Programs for Children, Teens and Adults
The YMCA has been the leader serving those with disabilities, special needs, and developmental challenges. Learning to read, tying your shoe, going on your first field trip, working at your first job, or simply making a new friend are experiences that create lasting memories. For students who have special needs, reaching these milestones come with unique challenges.
The Y MOST (Maximizing Out of School Time) program is designed for children, teens and adults beginning at age 4 through 22 with a wide range of special needs, including physical, developmental, sensory and learning disabilities. The service structure and program schedules closely mirror that of a typical Y afterschool or summer program.
Y STEP (Supported Training Employment Program) is designed to help teens and young adults with special needs ages 16-22 transition to independence. During the school year, Y STEP students identify and explore post-secondary career and educational interests to develop the skills needed to become successful adults and over the summer placed in a supported work environment.
Y ADAPTIVE SPORTS
(Inclusive Sports Program)
The YMCA of South Florida and the City of Pembroke Pines has collaborated to provide Adaptive Sports and Swim Buddies. The Adaptive Sports Program is a unified program that provides a noncompetitive and competitive atmosphere for participants ages four years old and older, with and without a disability.
Special Olympics of Broward County, YMCA of South Florida and the City of Pembroke Pines has collaborated to provide Special Olympics. The City of Pembroke Pines Special Olympics sports provides a competitive atmosphere for participants ages eight years old and older, with and without a disability.
YMCA Family Center Locations
Elementary and Middle School Special Needs Locations
- Atlantic West Elementary, Margate
- Bethune Elementary, Hollywood
- Castle Hill Elementary, Lauderhill
- Country Isles Elementary, Weston
- Cypress Hammock Park Center, Coral Springs
- David Park Center, Hollywood
- Deerfield Park Elementary, Deerfield Beach
- Hollywood Park Elementary, Hollywood
- Horizon Elementary, Sunrise
- Larkdale Elementary, Fort Lauderdale
- Maplewood Elementary, Coral Springs
- Oakland Park Elementary, Oakland Park
- Park Springs Elementary, Coral Springs
- Pasadena Lakes Elementary, Pembroke Pines
- Pinewood Elementary, North Lauderdale
- Silver Lakes Elementary, Miramar
- Silver Ridge Elementary, Davie
- Thurgood Marshall Elementary, Fort Lauderdale
- Walter C. Young Middle, Fort Lauderdale
- West Hollywood Elementary, Hollywood
- Wingate Oaks Center, Fort Lauderdale
High School Special Needs Locations
- J.P. Taravella High, Coral Springs
- Stranahan High, Fort Lauderdale
- Cypress Bay High, Weston