LA Lee/ Mizell
- COMING SPRING 2021!L.A. LEE YMCA/MIZELL COMMUNITY CENTER
Located in the Historic Sistrunk community, the new L.A. Lee YMCA/Mizell Community Center will impact more than 18,000 people per year and include a preservation of the history of the community and previous L.A. Lee YMCA.
The building will be 65,000 square feet, and of that, YMCA traditional programs will be run in about 25,000 square feet. The rest will be Broward College, retail space, community meeting space, and other features available to the community.
It will be a Community Center that has a Y in it, along with other programs and offerings the community told us they wanted. The new Y/Community Center will provide:
· Traditional Y program offerings – exercise and wellness options, youth programs and activities, family
· Health & wellness programs – diabetes and cardiovascular disease prevention
· Meeting Space that supports events from community – family reunions, group meetings, HOAs, a place to gather
· Retail space – drive economic development in the corridor and give business owners affordable space to grow business
· Preschool – to serve the community and continue the legacy of Mrs. Irma Wesley
· Shared Work Space – Heard many businesses looking for space to set up until the can get on their feet
· Black Box Theater – opportunity to bring cultural arts to the community and offer programming that the community wants to see.
· Swimming Pool – #1 Priority – teach kids to swim, provide low-impact exercise options