YOUTH IN GOVERNMENT (YIG) is a national program of the Y that involves thousands of teens nationwide in state-organized, model-government programs.
Students have the opportunity to immerse themselves in experiential civic engagement and to, quite literally, practice democracy in Judicial and Legislative tracks.
Students from Broward and Miami-Dade counties participate in two state conferences; serve as legislators, and debate bills in Florida’s House and Senate chambers.
- VOICE: Students write their own legislation based on issues that matter to them most.
- Discuss, organize & research topics as well as increase their awareness of societal issues and solutions.
- Gain participative leadership and communication skills
- Present their legislation in committees & chambers.
- EXPOSURE: Students travel to Orlando and Tallahassee for statewide program conferences and tour local colleges.
- Experience compatible careers and community involvement
- Students interact with students and elected officials from across the state.
- EMPOWER: Students engage in events, build their network, and present their issues on the Florida House & Senate floor.
- Students lead chapter meetings, round table discussions & weekend trainings.
- Accountability and respect for the rights of others
Close to 92% of our YIG students come from economically disadvantaged areas in Broward and Miami-Dade County. For them, participating in two statewide conferences that require transportation, 4 nights of hotel accommodations, meals and supplies would not be possible without the support of these partners:
- Children’s Services Council
- Pittman Law Group, P.L.
- Ryder Systems
- The Salah Foundation
- YMCA Florida State Alliance